Central School House was built in 1913. It brought together 2 smaller schools in the area, one in the lower end of the county called Liberty and one north of Central known as Melvin.
Money to build the school was collected by subscription from the people in the community. William Blake O’Dillon and Alcy Anderson donated the land where the school was built. The school was built using plans of Edmond Anderson. It served as a school from 1913 to 1940.
For years after the school closed it was used as a community center. People would gather there for rabbit stews and gather around the piano to sing after the meal. The indoor bathrooms and the kitchen facilities were probably added during this time.
Annual reunions each May were still being held into the 1980’s. Nina Elder remembers an afternoon Sunday School that met around 2:30. W. H. Phillips was the superintendent. “We had a good choir too”.